Sunday, June 21, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Before I get to this delicious recipe, allow me introduce myself. My name is Nicole and I was cordially invited by What A Card to share this (and hopefully other!) recipes with everyone. I am new to the whole "local-vore" thing and am so excited to start eating local foods that I haven't yet tried, or even heard of, as the case may be.

Last week was my first CSA pick from Warner Farm and we got strawberries, salad mix, radishes, garlic scapes, and rhubarb. The salad mix was so yummy - I never thought greens could taste so good. As for the rest, I wasn't really sure what to do with it. I know what radishes are but I have never eaten them. I've never heard of garlic scapes and I love strawberry rhubarb pie but I'm a terrible baker. Fortunately, this farm saw me coming and they gave us all some recipes to use with this pick-up. The first one I tried was the strawberry rhubarb crisp. Easy and so delicious! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
4 c. rhubarb pieces (about 1 lb.)
2 c. sliced strawberries
1 c. sugar
1 1/3 c. flour, divided
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. butter, melted and cooled

In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, 1/3 cup flour and cinnamon. Transfer to greased 9 x 13 in baking dish.

In another bowl, combine remaining 1 cup of flour with brown sugar, oats and nutmeg. Add butter and blend well to create the streusel. Sprinkle streusel over rhubarb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.


The things I liked best about this recipe is that the ingredients are simple and the recipe itself is very forgiving. I don't have the best stocked pantry, so I love it when I get a recipe and I can just make it without running to the store to get some odd ingredient. Also, I realized I had only half as much rhubarb as it called for but I decided to go for it anyway. And let me tell you, no one missed it! It still tasted great and had the tartness of rhubarb.

I will be getting another batch of strawberries and rhubarb tomorrow and I'd love some other ideas for them. My husband loved this but doesn't love what it could do to his waist line if I keep making it!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks great! Now I need to go strawberry picking again :) I know, not too tough!

    I posted a few garlic scape recipes here (click on the garlic scapes in the labels section on the right)...my favorite is the garlic scape pesto. However, I was talking to one of the farmers at the most recent CSA pickup, and he suggested just tossing with a little olive oil and tossing them on the grill until they start to caramelize. If it would ever stop raining, that's what we'll be trying!

    If you try something different with yours, I can't wait to hear about it! Besides the pesto, I didn't love anything else I made with garlic scapes last season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DANG! That looks wonderful :) I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a big bowl of this (with a scoop of Ben&Jerry's vanilla ice cream on top) for dessert tonight!

    Our strawberries are a bit behind this year. They should be ready this weekend, if so, we'll be out picking and I may just have to try this recipe myself! Thanks so much for sharing and joining us on this blogging adventure!

    ReplyDelete