Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Roasted Garbanzo Beans with Swiss Chard

This isn't the most local recipe...really, besides the swiss chard, none of the ingredients were local. However, I'm always looking for ways to incorporate protein into my veggie-heavy meals during the summer. I have a bad habit of just making veggies with a side of veggies! Plus, TK and I agreed that this was one of the most delicious meals ever, and a great use of swiss chard. So I figured I'd share it for any of you looking for an awesome swiss chard recipe!




I kind of followed this Bon Appetit recipe, though with a number of minor changes.

Ingredients:

1 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
6 garlic cloves, peeled and partially crushed (just a quick hit with the side of the knife)
1 large onion, diced and divided in half
3 bay leaves
Approximately 6 to 8 good sized swiss chard leaves, stems removed and leaves coarsely torn
3 more garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup chicken or veggie broth
1/2 cup olive oil, plus a little more for the pan
Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine in a baking dish: drained garbanzo beans, the 6 peeled and crushed garlic cloves, half of the diced onion, and the 3 bay leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add 1/2 cup olive oil. Roast for 45 minutes.

As you near the end of the 45 minute roasting time, start on the chard.

In a large pot, heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the remaining garlic and onion until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chard and toss until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes until the chard is tender.

Pour chard mixture into a strainer to remove the broth (it would probably be delicious! I let mine run down the drain without thinking about it and then was kicking myself!)

Remove the bay leaves from the garbanzo beans and discard.

Return the chard to the pot and add the garbanzo bean mixture. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the garbanzo beans if there's a lot of oil left in the pan. Mix it all together and heat through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I love chick peas and don't know any recipes that include them, other than hummus. Will rainbow chard work in this recipe? Because I think I'm getting some in my pick up today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Will definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sotorrific Twins~~rainbow chard is fine...I think that's what I used.

    I love chick peas, too. Here's another chick pea recipe on my blog: http://whatacard.blogspot.com/2008/07/minty-garbanzos.html I even like them just thrown on top of a salad! Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, that looks delicious. The picture looks just like an Indian chick pea dish I had once. I'm not a big fan of Indian food but this one was spicy and delicious. Too bad, I'm the only one in my family who likes garbanzos. They like nearly every other kind of bean--even limas--but not chick peas. Maybe I'll make this for my own lunch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! I have a ton of swiss chard that I need recipes for. I'll let you know what my household thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this last night (with local chard, garlic AND onion). WOW! We loved it! The chick peas got quite toasty in our convection oven, which is just the way we like them. This is a definite keeper - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete