Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Our First CSA Meal of the Season

If you or anyone you know is on the fence with regard to joining a CSA I have three words for you...just do it! We have a small share (to supplement our small garden) at Holiday Brook Farm. Our first pick-up was last Saturday. As we pulled into the farm I was giddy with excitement (yeah, it doesn't take much). Upon filling our 1/4 bushel basket with fresh produce (with a side of pastured pork chops that my husband just couldn't resist) we were on our way and I was mentally preparing meals.

It has been very cool and wet in Western MA so far this growing season, but even so we ended up with -

  • Four spring turnips
  • Five radishes
  • A head of baby bok choy
  • A head of red leaf lettuce
  • Braising Greens
  • Spinach

I passed on the Kale (not my favorite) and Mesclun Mix, since I had some mixed salad greens in the fridge at home.

Our CSA provides a weekly newsletter and this week the featured recipe was Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Garlic. It was the perfect accompaniment to the grilled chops. With eight cloves of garlic, how could you go wrong? I'd highly recommend this simple recipe if you're looking for a delicious way to fix this veggie.

Ingredients:

1/3 c. chicken or vegetable broth

1 T soy sauce

1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch

3 T vegetable oil

8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

2 pounds (about 1 full sized) bok choy, chopped, leaves and stems separate

2 tsp. toasted sesame oil

1/2 tsp. salt (I omitted this)

Directions: Stir together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and salt until cornstarch has dissolved; set aside. Heat a 14" wok (or heavy bottomed pan) over high heat until a drop of water evaporates instantly. Pour the oil down the side of wok and swirl to coat the sides. Add garlic and stir-fry, 5-10 seconds until pale golden. Add bok choy stems and stir fry until bright green and tender (a few minutes) and then add the leaves and stir-fry for 2 minutes longer until limp. Stir the broth mixture, then pour into the wok and cook for another 15 seconds. Turn the ehat down a bit, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are crisp tender (2-4 minutes). Stir in sesame oil and gransfer to a serving dish.

Bon Appetit!





2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!

    I picked up our fisrt share yesterday and they gave us some recipes to go with it. I let you know how they turn out!! I'm trying strawberry rhubarb crumble and then sauteed garlic scapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, strawberry rhubarb crumble sounds really good right about now. I stumbled upon a recipe for a white bean and garlic scapes dip that I want to try. Now, I just need to get my hands on some garlic scapes...

    ReplyDelete