Friday, August 10, 2012

Zucchini Bread Bake-off

I had the fun task of being one of the "blogger's choice" judges at Fat Moon Farm's zucchini bread bake-off.  The other two judges were Kathi from The Full Fridge and Andy from My Untangled Life.  It was fun to meet other bloggers who are passionate about food and cooking!

I made a loaf of the double chocolate zucchini bread Jules posted the other day.



It was good--certainly didn't disappoint.  I didn't have espresso powder so I subbed a teaspoon of cinnamon--I'd probably use more in the future as you couldn't taste the cinnamon.  Also, like Jules, I sprinkled some coarse sugar on top, because, well, I thought that was a FINE idea!

But, my favorites of the day were a lemon poppy zucchini bread and a banana zucchini bread--I hope they end up sharing the recipe as anything I think is better than chocolate, you KNOW it has to be good!  Those were the two breads us three bloggers chose for the "bloggers' choice" awards.

**EDIT TO ADD--Here's a link to the Fat Moon site about the event, with links to recipes!

And here are the real winners--all of us who got to try all the delicious zucchini bread!  Thanks, Elizabeth at Fat Moon, for planning this fun event!


And check out the lovely flowers they gave me!  Aren't they beautiful?? 


A lovely afternoon, and one of the many reasons why I enjoy eating locally and getting to know local farmers and producers!

2 comments:

  1. Followed you off of Fat Moon's site. We were the makers of the Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini bread. Here is the recipe.

    Lemon-Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread

    Makes: 3 (5x3 inch) loaves
    ½ cup butter softened
    1 1/3 cups sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 ½ cups all purpose flour
    ½ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    ½ cup sour cream
    1 cup shredded zucchini
    1 Tbsp lemon zest
    2 tsp poppy seeds

    1. Preheat oven to 325 Beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time beating just until blended after each addition
    2. Stirl together flour, salt and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in zucchini and next 2 ingredients. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 5x3 inch loaf pans (about 1 1/3 cups batter per pan) *
    3. Bake at 325 for 40 – 45 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min then remove and cool 30 more minutes.

    *I don’t have separate loaf pans so I did one large loaf but the bread needed an extra 20/25 min to bake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was great to see you, and super great to get to try that lemon poppy zucchini bread :)

    ReplyDelete