Monday, June 28, 2010

Coriander and Cilantro Flatbread

I don't know what it is about the summer, but I've got a bumper crop of cilantro. Tons and tons and tons of it. I use some, and the next day it seems like I've already got twice as much as I had the day before!

I pulled this recipe out of Bon Appetit magazine a few years back, and decided now was the time to make it to use up some of this delicious cilantro. I've made some very minor adjustments/clarifications, noted here.

Coriander and Cilantro Flatbreads
(pictured with Slow cooker Lentils, Rice, and Eggplant)



Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
3 teaspoons ground coriander (or more!)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (packed, measured after chopping. Better with lots of cilantro, if you ask me!)
3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
olive oil for frying

Directions:

Add the first 5 ingredients to a medium bowl, and mix well with a whisk (alternately, sift the ingredients together). Stir in the cilantro. Add yogurt and stir with a fork until slightly mixed, then knead until dough holds together. Don't over-knead! Add more flour or yogurt if necessary to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Use a large knife to divide the dough into 8 pieces, and roll into balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball out into a flat circle. Make the bread pretty thin (1/4" or so thick)--it'll puff when cooking.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush with olive oil until the bottom of the pan is well-coated. Place two or three breads into the skillet (depends on how many can fit...don't crowd!). Cook until dough is golden brown and slightly puffed, then flip. It takes only 2 or 3 minutes per side. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.

3 comments:

  1. How do you get your cilantro to grow? Ours withered very quickly and everyone we've talked to says the same . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I don't know! In fact, I normally kill everything. I have two ideas: 1) this year, I followed the square foot garden recipe for mixing your own soil (equal parts peat, compost, and vermiculite). It's a well-draining mix, that also holds on to enough water. I've also been really good about remembering to water every day. The cilantro is in a planter, not right in the ground. It's going mad...I keep cutting it back because I'm scared it's going to bolt before I get any tomatoes to make tomato/cilantro salsa :)

    Sorry to hear yours withered. Cilantro is one of my favorites. Maybe a second planting would work better? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds SO amazing! My cilantro is a little pathetic, but it's coming in at my CSA so I WANT to make these.

    ReplyDelete