Sunday, June 3, 2012

Scrumptious Cardamom Ginger Scones


There's a local restaurant that makes these heavenly cardamom ginger scones. Every time I'm in their neighborhood in the morning, I just *have* to stop in and grab one to go.  So, when I picked up our CSA share from Cricket Creek Farm last week and saw fresh cardamom butter in the fridge, I immediately knew it was going to be a part of my allotted dairy share.

It was raining yesterday, so I spent some quality time with my friend, Google, and lo and behold came across this recipe for cardamom ginger scones.  Be still my heart, I knew what I was doing first thing Sunday morning.

I followed this recipe exactly, although I *may* have been a bit liberal with the chopped, crystallized ginger.  I love ginger; you can never have too much ginger.  If you adore this rhizome as much as me, be liberal with your ginger too.  You'll thank me for it later.

Oh, and don't be alarmed by the yellowish color of the scones in the picture above.  The recipe calls for brushing the scones with an egg and sugar wash before baking.  We eat nothing but farm fresh eggs from free range chickens (also from Cricket Creek Farm) and their yolks are noticeably more yellow than eggs you buy at the grocery store.  This is due to their diet (the yolks are thicker and richer tasting too)!  After I brushed the unbaked scones with an egg and sugar wash, I sprinkled coarse sugar on the top of my scones. I'm a big fan of the rustic appearance it creates and the crunch it adds to baked goods.

This recipe says it yields 12 scones.  I ended up with a baker's dozen, so was able to enjoy one with my coffee while I packaged up a dozen to take into work tomorrow.  That is if they all make it that far.

This one's a keeper.  I've got some more cardamom butter, which I'm going to freeze.  I'll be making these again. 
















Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment