Monday, June 11, 2012

Pea Shoot Omelets

I've been trying to get to Fat Moon Farm each Thursday afternoon for their farmstand.  Not always an easy task, as Thursday afternoons are piano lessons, and make up t-ball games.  But, it's worth the effort.  Last week, I got there too late--all that was left was pea shoots!  But, as I always say, when life gives you pea shoots, make pea shoot omelets!

Ingredients:
1 portabella mushroom
1 small onion
1 big handful of pea shoots
Olive oil or butter
Herbs of your choice (I picked some parsley and chives from the garden).  Optional--use a tablespoon or two, or none
2 eggs (per omelet.  I had enough filling for two omelets)
Splash of milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Diced tomatoes (optional)
Cheese (optional--I wanted to use goat cheese, but turns out I didn't have any.  So I tossed on a little shredded cheddar)
Butter

Directions:
Dice the portabella mushroom and onion and saute in olive oil or butter until soft, about 10 minutes.

Wash the pea shoots.  Coarsely chop into pea shoots.

Mince the herbs.

Add the pea shoots and herbs to the pan with the sauteed mushroom and onion.  Stir, then turn off the heat.  The warmth from the pan/burner will finish cooking the pea shoots and herbs--you really just need them wilted.

In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the eggs with a splash of milk and salt and pepper to taste.

Place a small skillet over medium low heat.  Melt about a half tablespoon of butter, swirling around the pan.  In general, I'm not a big fan of non-stick cookware, but I have one skillet that I use just for scrambled eggs and omelets.  If anyone has tips for making omelets without non-stick, I'd love to hear them!

When the butter is melted, pour the eggs into the pan.  As the sides begin to set, use a rubber spatula to loosen the edges.  Continue cooking until the top is almost set.

Add a good sized scoop of the mushroom/onion/pea shoot mixture to one side of the omelet.  Top with diced tomato and cheese if you're using.  Use a rubber spatula to fold the other side of the omelet on top.  Let cook for an additional minute or two, then remove to a plate.  Top with a little extra filling if you'd like.





No comments:

Post a Comment