Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pure Comfort

The last time we "spoke", I was waxing poetic about the collection of various local squash adorning our dining room table. I've certainly come to see these delectable treats in a new light over the past couple of months - for they are one of the last remaining vegetables we have left from our CSA Farm. I've come to cherish this connection with Mother Earth and thoroughly enjoy preparing and eating each and every one.

I stumbled upon Amy Cotler's recipe for Tropical Butternut Squash Bisque in a recent edition of Rural Intelligence. I knew I had one lone butternut squash stocked away* and just happened to have a can of coconut milk in the pantry, so it all seemed meant to be...

For those of you who aren't local and may not be familiar with Amy, she's been a BIG farm to table advocate for years. She is the founding director of Berkshire Grown, which became an early model for local food and farm advocacy in my neck of the woods.

I followed the recipe exactly, except for the garnish - I was making this for my brown bag lunches, which don't lend themselves to garnishes as well as a home-cooked lunch or dinner might, but it was fabulous nonetheless! I love the way the earthy, sweet flavor of the squash melds with the tropical hint from the coconut and the mild spice of cayenne. YUM! This one's a keeper. And a BIG thank you to Amy for teaching me you don't have to wrestle with butternut squash in an attempt to peel it! Just pierce it and toss it in the oven - once it's roasted, the skin will peel right off (who knew)?

Bon Appetit!


*This particular squash was locally sourced, but was not a part of our actual CSA distribution.

4 comments:

  1. Julie--What a GREAT idea! We New Englanders need to use coconut more (along with our locally grown stuff, of course!). Thank you......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love soup, and that looks lovely! Jordan hates coconut...maybe I'll make this while he's out of town :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Ladies! I've added this amazing blog to the list on NE Bloggers. For those that have their own blogs, itwould be great if you posted the button there, too.
    You picked a great time to find us; our 1 year anniversary is on Tuesday, 1/26, and we have a blog carnival planned. This will certainly give all participants more traffic. Here's the email I sent out to members a few weeks ago.
    Our 1-year anniversary is coming up on January 26. To mark the occasion I am going to put up a Mr. Linky on the evening of Monday, January 25 in a post marking the occasion. If you'd like to write a post about living in New England, your favorite places to visit, funny stories and stereotypes, recipes, photos of our gorgeous landscape, anything, it would be great if you would link in. I'd also like a little idea of # of participants, if you could just send me a reply.
    Also, if you'd like to give me an email address, I can apprise you of any happenings in our little world. e_bogardus AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete