Sunday, July 19, 2009

Scallops and Chard

Those who know me are well aware that I am New Englander, through and through. My palate is evidence enough of that. My father loves to tell people the story of when, at three years of age, I requested lobster for lunch at a carnival instead of a hot dog or hamburger. And my love of shellfish and many other New England staples only seems to grow with time. So, joining a CSA and trying to eat more locally (and get more creative with recipes) has been a lot of fun.
Unfortunately, I don't cook often because my husband is not home much but he was in between projects and I had him for 2 weeks straight! Needless to say, the pots and pans got a lot of use! And he shares my love of shellfish so pretty much any recipe I attempt in that area is gobbled right up.

Last weekend, I tried a scallop recipe that was somewhat created in my mind and somewhat ripped off of various internet sources. My culinary skills are still in their infancy so I almost always look to other recipes for guidance. We had picked up a pound of scallops at the farmer's market and for some reason, I really wanted to eat them with sauteed spinach. I figured I could sub in some CSA chard for the spinach and it would be just as good. Here's what I did:

Marinate 1 lb. scallops in dressing - I chose Drew's Soy Ginger dressing. Added crushed red pepper for some heat. Let it marinate for at least one hour in the fridge.
Saute +8 torn chard leaves (or another green, if you like) in olive oil, salt, garlic and more crushed red pepper.
Saute scallops (I used a separate pan but you could probably use the same one as the greens) until cooked through.
Toss greens and scallops together over heat to let flavors come together, salt to taste and serve!


We will definitely be making this again as we never seem to tire of seafood. It's just the New England in me!
-Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love, love, love scallops! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we love scallops, too, but it's not always easy to find good fish around here (sorry, Sally!). We used to have a bunch of fish markets but they're all gone, now. Sometimes when I'm feeling very rich I'll go to Whole Foods and buy the dry ones, but they're pretty $$$. I will definitely try this next time.

    ReplyDelete